International Driving Permit

In addition to your national driving licence, an International Driving Permit is sometimes required or recommended when driving in other countries. Details of where these are required and how to apply can be obtained from the Post Office or the AA. Make sure that you have all the boxes stamped for the relevant vehicles you are likely to be driving.

  • The AA

    The AA have an International Driving Permit mail order service. If you're not able to get to a Post Office – for example, if you live overseas – you can use their new mail order service. For a fee, they'll apply for a permit on your behalf. You'll need to allow a minimum of 10 workings days (possibly longer if applying from overseas).
  • UK Post Office

    International Driving Permits are available over the counter in UK Post Offices. Find your nearest Post Office branch that offers the IDP service on the Post Office website.