Refine Your Search
|Finance:||Salary or Allowance|
|Duration:||Full‑time, 1 to 4 years|
|Activity:||Children & Youth, Education & Training, Sports & Leisure|
|Posted:||17 Nov 2023|
|Closes:||15 Dec 2023|
Trainee Outdoor Instructor
Vacancy : Trainee Outdoor Instructor
Salary : £15,000 - £18,000
Location: Warrington base, and local schools/activity sites
Contract: Permanent, Full-time (37.5 hours per week)
Reporting to: Director of Operations
Active Hope Ltd are looking for a Trainee Outdoor Instructor to join our dedicated and enthusiastic team.
The Trainee Instructor works as part of the instructional team to assist in the planning and delivery of a range of our ministry projects with children and young people, offering a range of adventurous activities, including some residential work.
Alongside the direct work with groups, duties also include planning and preparation for projects, maintenance of equipment, cleaning, shopping and general tasks around the base as part of the team. They will work at our Urban Adventure Centre location in Warrington, out at school grounds, and across a variety of residential and activity sites around the region.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Share the Christian faith through our projects exploring the natural world.
- Lead by example to demonstrate consistently the positive attitudes, values and behaviour which are expected of children the work with.
- Ensure health and safety of all participants, adhering to risk assessments for activities and equipment to be used.
- Attend all training and development, as required.
- Review own professional development and identify training needs.
- Act upon advice and feedback and be open to coaching and mentoring.
- Trainee Instructors are expected to demonstrate consistently high standards of personal and professional conduct.
- Be committed to the safeguarding of children and understand and follow any safeguarding policies and procedures that are in place.
- Trainee Instructors may be asked to undertake occasional other, reasonable tasks at the request of their line manager.
Desired Experience / Skills
- Excellent communicator, with good people skills.
- Experience of working with children and young people, preferably in a range of settings including schools.
- Have an understanding of safeguarding and the role they play in safeguarding the children and young people we work with.
- Experience of outdoor and adventurous activities.
- Be able and willing to drive passenger vehicles, with a clear driving license.
- Have achieved GCSE’s.
- Further training and qualification would be beneficial, but not essential (e.g. A levels, B-tec, apprenticeships etc)
- Be competent in use of IT (word processing and creation of documents etc).
- Outdoor qualifications or other coaching awards are desirable, but not essential.
Essential Experience / Skills
- Have a strong desire to share the Christian faith through the wonder of exploring the natural world.
- Have a passion for the outdoors, and a desire to provide children and young people with amazing opportunities.
- Have a clear DBS check.
- Have good communication skills both to other individuals and larger groups.
- Have the ability to work as part of a team.
- Show teachable qualities and a willingness to learn.
- Be patient and understanding.
- Be proactive and hard working.
- Have a heart to serve children and young people.
This is a physical job, mostly in an outdoor environment throughout the year. A suitable candidate should be physically fit, and be able to swim.
The position also requires a small amount of overnight work and time working away from home, during residential projects.
The role is subject to a successful probation period of 6 months and is an initial 1-year contract, with the intention to become permanent - subject to funding.
The Trainee Instructor will be supported by the Instructional team and managed by the Director of Operations.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to be trained in a range of Outdoor activities and work towards National Governing Body Awards, including but not limited to; water sports, mountain biking, archery and climbing.
This role comes with a competitive salary, 40 days paid annual leave (including Bank Holidays), all uniform provided, NGB memberships and training paid for.
Charity background, values and work culture
Active Hope is a Christian organisation founded in 2006 to serve children and young people from difficult and deprived backgrounds. Our staff are expected to set an example in speech, behaviour and attitude to the children and young people we work with, both professionally and in their personal life. We value hard work, team support and presenting the best we can to the children we work with, because we believe they deserve it. Faith is central to who we are and is the foundation for our team and the work we deliver. A successful candidate will be expected to have a referee from their Church setting plus a professional referee.
For more information, or to apply contact Dan Curtis, Director of Operations via firstname.lastname@example.org
This role is subject to a Genuine Occupational Requirement (GOR) that the successful applicant is a Christian who is committed to the values, beliefs and behaviours set out in our statement of faith; satisfactory references and an Enhanced DBS Check and; the right to work in the UK.
Closing date for applications is 15th December 2023.
Interviews at mutually agreeable times.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further evaluation.
Please mention OSCAR when responding.