Refine Your Search
|Location:||Highlands and Islands|
|Duration:||Open‑ended / Permanent|
|Activity:||Children & Youth, Education & Training, Hospitality, Sports & Leisure|
|Posted:||17 Aug 2021|
People from all walks of life have joined the Abernethy family to serve God through great hospitality and exciting outdoor adventure. We look after our guests with love, care, warmth and enthusiasm. Our communities at Barcaple and Nethy Bridge are wonderful places to serve, live and develop. A vibrant and friendly team, lovely locations, great facilities and a meaningful mission make Abernethy a special place to be.
Who should apply?
We are looking for a committed Christian who is able to lead people in the outdoors. We are seeking an Outdoor Instructor who can deliver a safe, exciting and meaningful adventure programme in line with our mission. You will have worked in the outdoor adventure sector and will be passionate about the connection between outdoor learning and the journey of the Christian faith.
The role – key tasks
- Participate in the outdoor activity programme by instructing as directed
- Ensure that appropriate safety precautions are adhered to
- Assist with the maintenance of the outdoor education equipment
- Ensure that evidence of current experience and competence in outdoor activities is recorded in an up-to-date logbook
- Take part in training as required, ensuring that the appropriate standards are upheld
- Communicate with the Chief Instructor or OD as and when problems arise
- Taking part in our Christian programme, attending team meetings and devotional times, helping host events, serving our guests and being an Ambassador for Abernethy
What experience and qualities are we looking for?
- Minimum qualifications: RCI, ML(Summer), Canoe Leader, MBLA2, D1, BASI Level 1, First Aid, Duke of Edinburgh Assessor. You do not need to have all of these, but a combination of several will be expected and ideally BASI Level 1 will be one of them
- Have a mature and growing Christian faith
- Be a positive Christian role model for both guests and staff
- Have a heart for service, evangelism and Christian discipleship
- Have a warm, friendly and collaborative approach
- Able to problem-solve and think creatively
- Have excellent communication skills
- Can work under pressure to set deadlines in a calm and efficient manner
- Ability to plan ahead and show attention to detail
- Motivated, enthusiastic and able to demonstrate initiative
- A willingness to be flexible and go the extra mile
- Have served previously with a Christian organisation, charity or church
- Full UK driving licence
Good to know
- It is a Genuine Occupational Requirement that the holder of this post is a practising Christian whose lifestyle is consistent with the values and doctrine of the Christian faith
- As part of our commitment to safeguarding, the successful applicant will be required to become a member of the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Scheme and the appointment will be subject to a satisfactory PVG Scheme Disclosure
- Living and working as part of a Christian community in a beautiful rural location
- Accommodation in a shared house and full-board provided (if required)
- Monthly salary
- Paid annual leave (30 days per annum, increases with length of service)
- Use of Centre facilities including outdoor equipment
- Opportunities to take an active role within the life of local churches and Christian youth work
- Training and development opportunities
- Attendance at our inspiring annual Team Gathering
- Access to a fantastic outdoor area with the Cairngorms, River Spey and Moray Coast all within easy reach
Please prayerfully consider whether this role may be right for you. For an informal chat about the role please contact James Woodhouse, Chief Adventure Officer, on 01479 818001 during office hours (please leave a voicemail if we aren’t able to answer).
Ready to apply?
The best way is to APPLY ONLINE. If you need assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01479 818 005.
Please mention OSCAR when responding.