Refine Your Search
|Location:||Dumfries and Galloway|
|Duration:||Open‑ended / Permanent|
|Activity:||Children & Youth, Education & Training, Hospitality, Sports & Leisure, Leadership & Management|
|Posted:||20 Sep 2021|
People from all walks of life have joined the Abernethy family to serve God through great hospitality and exciting outdoor adventure. We look after our guests with love, care, warmth and enthusiasm. Our communities at Barcaple and Nethy Bridge are wonderful places to serve, live and develop. A vibrant and friendly team, lovely locations, great facilities and a meaningful mission make Abernethy a special place to be.
Who should apply?
We are looking for a committed Christian who is able to take on a leadership role in the outdoors. We are seeking a dynamic team leader who can creatively develop and deliver a safe, exciting and meaningful adventure programme. You will have worked in the outdoor adventure sector and will be passionate about learning in the outdoors.
The role – key tasks
- Lead and manage the instructional department
- Play a part on the Centre Leadership Team
- Undertake administrative tasks including supervising the planning of programmes and implementation, liaising with visiting groups to ensure satisfaction and achievement
- Participate in the activity programme by instructing, leading, co-ordinating and training both guests and instructors
- Development of various programmes offered by the Centre, including the John Muir Award and D of E programmes
- Demonstrate experience and competence in outdoor activity by keeping an up-to-date logbook and oversee the keeping of logbooks by other instructors
- Be part of our community and a positive representative of Abernethy
- Taking part in our Christian programme, attending team meetings and devotional times, helping host events, serving our guests and being an Ambassador for Abernethy
What experience and qualities are we looking for?
- Experience of working in an instructional department
- Minimum qualifications: RCI, ML(Summer), Canoe Leader, MBLA2, D1, Ski qualification, First Aid, Duke of Edinburgh Assessor. You do not need to have all of these, but a combination of several will be expected.
- Previous experience of leading a team
- Have a mature and growing Christian faith
- Be a positive Christian role model for both guests and staff
- Have a heart for service, evangelism and Christian discipleship
- Have a warm, friendly and collaborative approach
- Able to problem-solve and think creatively
- Have excellent communication skills
- Can work under pressure to set deadlines in a calm and efficient manner
- Ability to plan ahead and show attention to detail
- Motivated, enthusiastic and able to demonstrate initiative
- A willingness to be flexible and go the extra mile
- Have Word, Excel and Outlook IT skills
- Have served previously with a Christian organisation, charity or church
- Full UK driving licence
Good to know
- It is a Genuine Occupational Requirement that the holder of this post is a practising Christian whose lifestyle is consistent with the values and doctrine of the Christian faith
- As part of our commitment to safeguarding, the successful applicant will be required to become a member of the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Scheme and the appointment will be subject to a satisfactory PVG Scheme Disclosure
- Living and working as part of a Christian community in a beautiful rural location
- Accommodation in a shared house and full-board provided (if required)
- Monthly salary
- Paid annual leave (30 days per annum, increases with length of service)
- Use of Centre facilities including outdoor equipment and climbing wall
- Opportunities to take an active role within the life of local churches and Christian youth work
- Training and development opportunities
- Attendance at our inspiring annual Team Gathering
- Living and serving in beautiful Dumfries and Galloway, with fabulous mountain bike trails nearby and easy access to the magnificent beaches of the Solway Coast
Please prayerfully consider whether this role may be right for you. For an informal chat about the role please contact Dave Crudgington, Operations Director, on 01557 820261 during office hours (please leave a voicemail if we aren’t able to answer).
Ready to apply?
The best way is to APPLY ONLINE. If you need assistance, please email email@example.com or call 01479 818 005.
Please mention OSCAR when responding.